Monday, January 15, 2007

Walk Man

I was going through some of my junk the other day and run across what I believe to be one of the first walk man radio's to be found. Just for shits and giggles I put a battery in it and it picked up 650 WSM just as clear as I remember it.

My Dad wore this thing everywhere while working around the house. If he was working in the garden or in the garage or what ever he had his radio with him. Now in the early 70's you couldn't go to Walmart and buy a piece of art like this one. The radio is an old GE am (no fm in those days)only. The pouch I think must be an old purse that he cut up and hand sewed together with fishing string.

The buckle must be off of a watch or possibly off of the purse. Staples are the weapon of choice to attach the strap that will secure the radio in the pouch. To hook the walk man to your belt a clip from a pair of suspenders was used. Very handy to remove the radio for some station ajustment (needed every 5 minutes ).

This may look crude to most people but I guess I got this from my Dad. Why buy it if you can make it yourself. You should have seen some of the things he could make out of cardboard , contact paper and duck tape , amazing. He's been gone since 1984 and I sure miss him.

5 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks just like I remember it.Don't lose that,man.And you're right.I'm shocked sometimes at what I learned from Dad and did'nt even know it.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger screwboy said...

Thats pretty cool it is somthing you want to hold on.thats a nice case he made for the radio.Thats where you got the"septer rigging" or"welding some shit"!!I love that!Oh yea alligator swamp is updated.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Pee Wee said...

Good blog. What did he listen to?

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dad always listened to 1040 WHO talk radio.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home