Tuesday, December 21, 2010

No way

I came home from work the other night and Linda met me when I came in as she always does. After our normal greetings; she gets all excited ..not that kind of excited. She tells me that while going through some of her things she has come across something pretty rare. Now, I'm hoping its money or some beer that we didn't know we had. This was not the case. She has found a book, but not just any book! A perfect copy of Little Black Sambo. There is not a scratch nor tear or even a finger print on this book. I was like- damn, I haven't seen one of those since I was ( don't know) 8 - 10 years old. Then I got to thinking. This was a kids book that we all read when we was growing up and didn't think a whole lot about it. However, there is no way this book could be published today. The title alone would send the nation into a tail spin of racism. I'm sure Ophra would do a show on it.
I don't know; I think we are a little sensitive about some of this stuff. Little Ebony African American just doesn't sound right. This is a picture of the actual book and it's still some good reading.
This post was fixed up by Linda White.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Jessie Wallace said...

Believe it or not, I was down to the county library last week and the librarian mentioned some books they had locked away because they were ordered pulled by the state many years ago. Yep there it was, a copy of Little Black Sambo, the pride of the collection. Linda's looks to be in better shape. Congratulations on the historic discovery

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous The Rick said...

Very collectable ! How did you keep it in such good shape ? Hell,Dick you know how we were on every thing,let alone books.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Pee Wee said...

You're right, no way in this day and age of political correctness.

I can remember a teacher reading us that book back in the day. A black teacher.....

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home