Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Bowling balls

In my last Blog I mentioned that my bowling ball was in the shop and PeeWee had a good question. Why would you put a bowling ball in the shop ? Well it would be hard to answer in my comments so I'm going to tell ya in this blog.
Back a few years ago all of your bowling lanes were wood and the balls were plastic or rubber except for Fred and Barney and I'm not sure they were real. Now a lot of the bowling lanes are made of synthetic man made materials that are a lot harder ,but stay more consistent. The plastic balls don't grip to this surface very well so it makes it hard to get the ball to hook and with less grip the ball will slide through the pins with less pin reaction and lower scores. BOOOO!!
So to combat this problem they made the ball softer to get more grip on the lanes. More grip less deflection more pin action higher scores. YAAAAH!! Now for the second problem. Softer balls means that you have to do some maintenance on the balls every so often. My Red and Black ball has a reactive resin cover and the Blue ball has a urethane cover. Now since they are softer than the lanes the balls actually get flat spots in them and where the ball tracks it picks up oil and it soaks into the cover. This makes the ball act like a plastic ball siding through the pins with less pin reaction and lower scores. BOOOOO!! So you take it to the pro shop and they will resurface the ball to make it just like new again. OK all that being said it don't mean shit if the operater can't hit his mark , jerks the ball to the left , drops the damn thing, forgets to let go of the ball etc. etc. etc. So now everything should be clear as mud. So if anyone ask you can tell them no you can't tune a fish but you can tune a bowling ball. YOU HEARD ME!!

5 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Blue Ribbon......and don't forget the tuna.

The Rick

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jessie Wallace said...

Very educational Captain. I understand now how your balls get flat spots and saturated with oil, but what's that got to do with bowling? HA HA

Bet you didn't see that one coming, did ya? Sorry about that, I just couldn't keep my mind out of the gutter.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Pee Wee said...

I do in fact find it fairly difficult to follow a Jesco comment.

The other thig I find difficult is to try and grasp the fact that there is in fact a bunch of technical bullshit involved in freaking bowling. What?

I thought you just throwed your ball down the lane (you've seen me bowl, badly) and hoped for the best. I had no idea that so much was involved.

I also thought the object was to just go get another pitcher of beer.

Amazing!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Blue Ribbon,please.

The Rick

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Pee Wee said...

To the Rick, Word! haha

Sorry for not keeping up in the first place! I owe you one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home